Tommy Gilligan-USA TODAY Sports
More from UCLA Bruins Baseball
- UCLA Basketball and Football: Westwood is the place to be for recruits
- UCLA: Football and Basketball news for this current week
- UCLA Baseball: Pac-12 Tournament Preview
- UCLA Baseball: Season Report
- UCLA Athletics: First Week of May games
The LA Regional third seed is Maryland (39-21), out of the B1G. Maryland starter Mike Shawaryn is one of the best pitchers in the nation, with an ERA of 1.65 and a WHIP of 1.00. The big, sidearming sophomore, though, goes Friday night against Ole Miss and is unlikely to face UCLA in a potential Saturday game. Beyond Shawaryn, only one other Maryland pitcher has started more than seven games.
While Maryland’s offense has a slight edge on UCLA (scoring 6.27 runs per game to our 6.09), UCLA should be better served by its superior bullpen and all-around pitching depth.
UCLA is 1-2 all time against Maryland, having only faced them for one weekend series, back in 2012.
Next: Will Ole Miss win more than the party?